Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Reluctant Mermaid

Doesn't that sound like an old-school romance novel . . . or a Lifetime Original Movie (like you've never secretly watched those)?  Nope, just everyday life around here with a mercurial two-year-old.  Happy. Sad. Happy. Sad.

About a month ago, Evelyn announced that she wanted to be a mermaid for Halloween.  I waited to see if the idea would stick and it did - yay!  Problem? Evelyn doesn't really like The Little Mermaid.  She can't get past the terrifying Sea Witch AND there are hardly any non-Ariel mermaid costumes for toddlers.    I checked the local Halloween store, online and pretty much all my normal shopping haunts with no luck.  Enter Costco (love!).  They had an awesome mermaid costume with lots of accessories that I never even imagined that a mermaid would need:  a headband, bracelet, necklace and teeny tiny cape.  Hilarious!  Evelyn was smitten with it too.  The smallest size was way too big, but I decided to take it home and see if I could 'make it work.'  I really had to do some significant alterations to make sure that she wouldn't trip over that darn tail all night while we were Trick-or-Treating.



It went from this (wrong color but you get the idea) to


Wait for it . . .


Wait for it . . .


This!
And after all my hard work, she HATED it!  Maybe she'll calm down?

Nope.


 
Here, Evelyn is trying to hide.  But it doesn't work, mwah ha ha!  She's inadvertently showing off the cute ruching on the bum.


 
What if big sister tries it on, making it cool by association?  Yeah, no.  Also, you can tell by the drooping shoulders that Abby was not happy to get dragged into this mess.

Oh well.  I figured that if she didn't wear it on Halloween, we'd pull something from the dress up cupboard.  But remember what I said about toddlers?  Happy. Sad . . .



Happy Halloween!

2 comments:

  1. Hillary I love this! Haven't seen Evelyn in forever and she is adorable --- happy OR sad. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, that is too funny! At least she loved it when it came down to trick or treating!!!

    ReplyDelete