Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Abby's Birthday Tunic


Some time ago, in a nearby Jo-Ann Fabric Store, my little fabric-shopping sidekick fell in love with a cute and very sweet doll fabric. While I loved the print, the soft blue and pink together weren't my very favorite. Kind of reminded me of baby shower colors. Thus the internal debate began. My daughter's the one that *gets* to wear the clothes I make but I have to stare at it for the duration of an entire project. What to do? Keep shopping. I found another fabric to throw into the mix that pulled out the purple in the print, making both of us happy. A trip to Michael Levine's provided the fun dotted trim and then . . . it sat in my stash for a very, very long time waiting to be turned into something. So long, in fact, that I had to ask my daughter if she still liked the fabric. 

She did and it became a Maggie Mae Tunic just in time for her birthday. I love this pattern. It fits her perfectly and the piping between the skirt and the bottom band gives it very pretty volume. Not too much, just enough. Also, this is my first time making the tunic length and, in combination with a pair of leggings, it was a playground-friendly alternative to the dress. Some tiny bunny buttons are an adorable surprise on the back closure.


 

2 comments: