Monday, November 27, 2017

Elegance & Elephants' Flora Dress


Welcome to those who are visiting my blog for the first time and welcome back if you've been here before. I'm thrilled to be part of Elegance and Elephant's Flora Dress & Tunic Blog Tour!

I really love the way this Flora Dress turned out. I realize that this sounds like I'm virtually high five-ing myself a little but let me explain. I've been excited to sew this up for a while now, ever since I started seeing Heidi's versions on Instagram, and was probably even more so when I saw the tester photos. Then, as my date for this tour got closer, I started getting a little nervous because I wanted to do something different and truly spectacular to show why-you-need-this-pattern.

But guess what? It's time to exhale. The beauty of this very versatile pattern is that you don't actually have to do something different or spectacular to wind up with something absolutely amazing. You can choose your own sewing adventure by choosing your fabric (my favorite part), selecting one of the three views and what sleeve length makes sense to you and then let it be. There are no buttons, zippers or other intimidating closures to procrastinate and the fit is relaxed and easy.


I started by choosing this cotton fabric that I have been hoarding in my stash. The color seemed perfect for falling leaves and the print seemed like it would appeal to my ten year old daughter. I decided on view A because I didn't want to break up the floral any more than absolutely necessary and short sleeves because I live in Southern California where short sleeves make sense most of the year.


Instead of lining the dress strictly as written, I opted to use the same pattern pieces for the lining as for the exterior bodice and skirt, cutting the skirt an inch shorter. I also added in-seam pockets because (1) skirt pockets almost always seem like a good idea and (2) they're a final chance to throw another print into the mix - surprise!


My daughter absolutely loves this dress. When I asked her if she'd like another one she said, "Yes, but in a different fabric and color so it won't be exactly the same." Got it.

So, I hope you decide to make your own different and truly spectacular version of the Flora Dress & Tunic! The PDF pattern is available in the Elegance and Elephants' shop AND until December 8, 2017 (4pm PST), Heidi is offering a 10% discount when you enter the code FTD10 at checkout. Happy sewing!

Photography by Jessica Peterson

2 comments: