Halloween is one of my kids' favorite holidays of the whole year. I think it might even trump their birthdays. They love everything about it: pumpkin patch visits, trunk-or-treat and, of course, the costumes. They love planning what they are going to be and don't feel restricted in any way by what the stores are offering because they have complete confidence in my ability to whip up anything. This confidence is a little bit misplaced but I think it is sweet that they feel this way and I really do try to make it happen. I think there is something magical - almost Cinderella-like - about being anything that you want to be for one night. Actually, my kids wear their costumes repeatedly throughout the year so perhaps the magic lasts a little bit longer than that.
This year, we almost didn't make it. Abby came down with a horrible virus and Nick left town on a job (hooray for work!) as I was frantically trying to finish sewing a Bowser, Jr. costume and a Snow White dress. Oliver caught the dreaded whatever-it-was and ended up missing his school's Halloween Parade that he had been so excited about. Long story short - and not without help - we survived. I had a "make it work" moment with Abby's dress but she was Snow White on Halloween. We missed a lot of fun Halloween activities due to sickness but still made it to a friend's birthday party, the Trunk-or-Treat and actual Trick-or-Treating in our new neighborhood with family and friends. Sadly, I don't have very good pictures of the kids dressed up but they loved their costumes and had a great time!
Oliver as Bowser, Jr. He's actually really happy but he's doing his tiny villain's pose.
I think my grandpa might be proud of my engineering of the spikes.
One of Oliver's friends dressed up as Bowser. He was thrilled and wanted to Trick-or-Treat with him all night.
I love how animated they got!
Abby at Trunk-or-Treat. I got her to wear her Cinderella costume from last year because I wasn't finished with Snow White yet.
My sewing area shortly before everyone showed up for our little Halloween party.
Abby's friend Amanda, aka Dorothy, and Snow White herself.
Kind of a funny picture but at least Abby's looking at the camera!
No comments:
Post a Comment