Evelyn surprised me this Halloween with her passionate desire to be . . . a bunny. Truthfully, a bunny seems kind of tame for my little spitfire but Evelyn is an original and stayed true to her bunny vision to the end. I don't know why I doubted at all because she made an adorable, bouncy and enthusiastic little bunny.
Testing out her bunny dress.
Because we live in sunny Southern California, it usually isn't very cold on the days leading up to Halloween or even Halloween night. Keeping that in mind, I made Evelyn a fuzzy little sleeveless bubble dress that could be worn alone or over a long-sleeved tee with tights or leggings. I used True Bias' terrific Toddler Swing Tank pattern (see two previous versions I made here) as the base for my dress. The pattern is only available in a 2T so I sized it up to what is probably a 4T. If anyone is looking to make a similar dress, I also lowered the arm a bit for greater comfort (and possible layering) and increased the seam allowances since the fuzzy fabric is a little bit bulky and awkward to sew. I lengthened the top by extending the a-line shape past my daughter's knee so that I would have plenty of fabric to "bubble" at the bottom once I added elastic. A giant white pom-pom safety-pinned to the back of the dress made a cute (and detachable) bunny tail.
She loved, the fluffy pom-pom tail.
The bunny hat was made using the Cozy Winter Hood pattern from the Oliver + S Little Things To Sew book, size medium. Can I just say that this pattern sews up like a dream . . . even if you're sewing it up hours before a Halloween Party? I used the same cozy white fabric that I used on the dress for the outside of the hood and lined it in a sweet polka-dotted cotton fabric. In place of the bear ears, I drafted some loppy bunny ears. Evelyn loves her bunny hood so much and even wore it to the movies over Christmas break.
Evelyn helped pick out the white fabric, Joann's Soft & Fluffy fabric in white, and the lining, Joann's Nursery Baby Basic - Dots White on Pink .
So happy :)
And the whole crew, ready for some Trunk-or-Treating.





I love the bunny!!! So stinking cute!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a cutie pie. She should be a catalog model I would buy anything from that cute little bunny face. Great job on the costume Hillary. You are amazing.
ReplyDelete