Saturday, February 4, 2017

First Day Dresses, aka The Cat Dresses


The First Day Dress Pattern by MADE Everyday has been on my "must sew" list for a long time. There are lots of mix n' match options included in the pattern (A-Line Dress/Top, Swing Dress/Top, Cap Sleeves/Sleeveless and with or without placket) but I knew that the mod little cap sleeve and twirly skirt would be a winning combination for my two sweet and spunky girls.



I was initially concerned, when I really started reading through the pattern, that the single button on the back wouldn't allow the dress to be tailored enough for a good fit. Without fabric to spare, I made a muslin of the top portion of the dress to make sure that I was able to customize the fit for each of my girls. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to fit the dress. I did find that the neckline seemed a teensy bit high and lowered it slightly for comfort on each of the dresses.



The top of the dress is lined so I used Lindsay Wilkes' (aka The Cottage Mama's) genius construction technique to put it together cleanly. I love her "Lessons with Lindsay" series of videos and you can register to watch them too on Baby Lock's "Sew at Home" website. The one I used for this dress is "Lessons with Lindsay: A-line Armholes."



Let's talk fabric. I made a special trip to Ikea for this find. When I saw it in person, I hesitated because the cat faces seemed like they might be too large for child-size dresses. Also, I thought the  larger pattern repeat would be difficult to line up but I think it was ultimately worth the effort. The dress is lined in a bright pink broadcloth from Jo-Ann's.



One of my favorite parts of sewing for my girls is making dresses for different holidays, not just Easter and Christmas. Before Halloween, I styled the orange and white dress with a black cardi, striped knee socks and black flats. Without the black and white, this dress is a fun and funky option for any day . . . even a "First Day."  ;)


Photography by Jessica Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment