Sunday, October 14, 2012

Lace Leggings (KCWC)


After seeing lace leggings around on Pinterest, I was completely smitten and decided almost instantly that my sweet little girlies need some too.  Well, if we're seriously considering needs and wants then no, my girls do not need me to drop $40 on leggings but how about $2?  What if I could use some lace that I already have - that I picked up at Michael Levine's Loft for $2 a pound - and make them myself?  In that case, yes, I needed to at least try.  I have been spending a little bit of time this week sewing for my kids as a part of kid's clothing week challenge and this was a perfect project.

And you know what?  Surprise, surprise.  Leggings are very easy to make.  Maybe even easier than pajama pants since they have no faux fly.  I've made one pair so far and they look pretty good.  The lace that I was working with was not especially stretchy so, of necessity, I made them a little bit loose fitting so they could be easily pulled off and on.

I used an existing pair of well-fitting leggings to draw out a pattern and I read through these tutorials for some valuable advice.  



The verdict?  I would happily make more.  My girls both love wearing dresses so we practically hoard leggings for the winter and little shorts and capris for the summer.  I wouldn't give up on store bought leggings for solid colors - I could wax poetic about the fit, durability and superior quality of Hanna Andersson's leggings - but for interesting patterns and styles (ruffles!), making them myself is a great option.

No comments:

Post a Comment