Sunday, October 7, 2012

Quinoa Black Bean Patties

I made these tonight for the family and they were a hit.  Well, two of the three kids liked them and the third didn't pitch a fit so I call that success.  We ate these with hummus and I think it was a good pairing since Nick pointed out that they taste a lot like falafel.  I based the recipe on this one from AllRecipes.com but ended up making quite a few changes based on reviewer comments (and what I had on hand) so I thought that I'd post my modified recipe here.

Quinoa Black Bean Patties

 Ingredients:

  • 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained.
  • 1 cup of cooked quinoa
  • 1/2 cup quick oats
  • 1/4 cup shredded carrots
  • 1/8 tsp. onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 2 tbsp. salsa
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
Directions:

Pour rinsed and drained black beans into a mixing bowl.  Mash them until they form a paste, leaving some black beans whole.

Add quinoa, oats, carrots, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, salsa and egg.  Mix together and form into patties.  

Heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in the bottom of a skillet and, once hot, add patties.  Cook for a few minutes on each side or until each side is lightly browned (like a hash brown!).  This made about 7 medium-sized patties.



No comments:

Post a Comment