Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Lucky.


So, I've been doing this whole mom thing for a while now and there are still things that completely baffle me as a parent.  Oliver (and Abby) got to kick-off an Angel's game last week by announcing, "Play ball!" to the entire stadium.  They were on the jumbotron and everything - it was so crazy!  And I simply didn't know how to impress upon them the 'once-in-a-lifetime' nature of that kind of an opportunity without completely freaking them out.  Don't get me wrong - both kids had the best time - but is that the essence of "youth is wasted on the young"?  Don't they know that you usually have to be really sick or a victim of tragedy for those kinds of things?  Sheesh.

  

Well, I know we're super (duper) lucky.  I'm extremely grateful for my wonderful family and humbled by our good fortune:  three beautiful, healthy children; loving family; a safe and comfortable home and dedicated teachers both in church and school.

Anyhow, before the game started, Nick, Oliver, Abby and I were all able to take a mini behind-the-scenes tour of the stadium and then walk onto the field.  Did you know that there is an actual batting cage IN the stadium for the players?  I do now.



Oliver's grandpa won the opportunity for Oliver at a charity event and, if anything, we tried to downplay it a bit beforehand so that Oliver wouldn't get cold feet.  When it was explained to him that thousands of people would have their eyes and (and ears) on him he became more than a little anxious.  He loved the idea of standing on the field but was nervous leading up to the actual moment.  I was too. You have to be very good on the field as they sweep the dirt, chalk the lines, and brush the plate and it was hard to keep two very excited kids in line as we waited, especially when they rolled a couple of baseballs to them.  Heaven.


Minutes away from game start, it was determined that Oliver would not be standing on the field alone.  He was too nervous.  Abby was willing to go it alone which made Oliver change his mind immediately - his little sister wasn't going to show him up!  Ultimately, Oliver and Abby did it together with Dad standing by and holding the mic.  It was a memorable night.  I was so nervous/anxious/excited that I completely goofed up on the camera.  They cued the kids and I instinctively hit the on button . . . . only the camera was already rolling and it turned it OFF.  Duh.  Groan.  I turned it back on but it was too late.  Two words go by really fast.  I felt so sick about it that I thought I was going to throw up for about ten minutes but then I pulled it together and enjoyed the rest of the night.

When we were walking back to our seats, a couple shouted "Good job out there!" and Oliver just beamed.  He told me that he felt famous.  Pizza, popcorn and hot dogs rounded out an unforgettable evening.


 
Our view of the suite from the field.

The view of us from the suite.  We look so tiny!









P.S.  Evelyn LOOOOOVES popcorn.  So much so that she will pick it up off the floor and and eat it or share it with you (yuck!).  Watch out for that one!

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome! The pictures turned out great!! I know Oliver and Abby were Super excited!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is soooooo awesome. Wow what a fun nite

    ReplyDelete